Do you feel a chill run up your spine when you hear the phrase “root canal?” You’re not alone. Wild exaggerations and unfounded rumors have given this often necessary dental procedure an undeserved reputation. In fact, root canal therapy helps protect and preserve your smile. In today’s blog, your Columbia dentist, Dr. David Foster, discusses the importance of root canal therapy with a fun and informative quiz.
Root Canal Therapy Quiz
1. True or False: A variety of factors can lead to an infected or abscessed tooth.
2. True or False: Chronic toothaches and swelling are common symptoms of dental infections.
3. True or False: Root canal therapy allows your Columbia TN general dentist to remove infected tissue from your tooth.
4. True or False: Dr. Foster can restore your tooth to full function and appearance following a root canal procedure.
1. True. Tooth decay, trauma, and gum disease are all common dental problems that, without treatment, can eventually lead to an infection. Over time, an infected tooth can die, requiring extraction.
2. True. There are multiple symptoms of an infection, including: tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures, frequent toothaches, swelling around the tooth, bad breath, and pain when biting down or chewing.
3. True. During the procedure, Dr. Foster will open the tooth and remove the infected tissue. From there, he will clean the root canals and properly disinfect the tooth.
4. True. After completing the procedure, your tooth will be capped with a custom-made dental crown. The crown protects the tooth from further infection and preserves the remaining tooth structure. The crown will match your natural teeth, blending seamlessly with your smile.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Columbia TN General Dentist
Are you experiencing one or more symptoms of a dental infection? Interested in learning more about our state-of-the-art root canal procedure? Then talk to your Columbia TN general dentist today. Dr. Foster offers the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule an appointment our 38401 dentist office by calling (931) 388-3384. We welcome patients from Columbia, Spring Hill, Mt. Pleasant, Lewisburg, Lewisburg, Hohenwald, Centerville and surrounding communities.